Regionally Accredited Program
Pharmacy Technician Certificate
The certificate is an entry level program for students wishing to gain experience in community pharmacy. Students will study in courses related to the practice of community pharmacy and will complete 200 hours of externship in a community pharmacy setting.
What qualities should a Pharmacy Technician student have?
You should be motivated, have strong communication skills, be able to work in a fast-paced environment, possess strong ethics, have the desire to help others and be able to comply with the professional standards of the pharmacy profession.
What specific skills and knowledge are taught in the Pharmacy Technician program?
- You will learn to adapt to changes in the pharmacy and still maintain complete accuracy in all items that you produce.
- You will collaborate with other students to achieve goals in the pharmacy.
- You will master interpreting, filling and dispensing prescriptions.
- You will provide excellent customer service to patients and other healthcare providers.
- You will learn to excel at both time and stress management.
- You will demonstrate skills in monitoring selected procedures such as blood glucose testing, blood pressure monitoring and immunizations.
- Information about all the types of pharmacy settings.
- Pharmacy calculations.
- How drugs work in the body.
- Federal, state and other organizations’ laws and regulations.
- Community pharmacy operations and process for filling prescriptions.
- Institutional pharmacy operations and process for filling medication orders.
- Sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- Medication safety.
- Hands-on learning defines Sullivan’s Pharmacy Technician Program. You’ll spend less time in lecture and more time learning how to fill prescriptions, compound medications and research drug information in our on-site training facilities. You’ll learn to master these skills in our fully equipped community and institutional simulation pharmacies and our compounding laboratory. Online instruction allows for greater flexibility for students wishing to complete the program in the virtual classroom. See the course catalog for those courses available for online instruction.
- Part of your training is completion of an externship, where you work to gain real pharmacy experience alongside of pharmacists and technicians. We have contracts with a large variety of community and institutional pharmacies so we can find the right fit for you while you are learning in the field.
- Our program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) and is regionally approved through multiple state boards of pharmacy including Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana.
- You can earn a pharmacy technician certificate in as little as nine months to move from classroom to career as efficiently as possible, or you can choose a pharmacy technician diploma or associate of science degree that can be completed in as little as twelve to eighteen months if you aspire to advance further as a pharmacy technician in the pharmacy field.
|Total Credit Hours||36|
|MSS 104||Medical Terminology||4|
|MSS 154||Health and Safety Techniques||4|
|PHT 101||Introduction Pharmacy Technician||4|
|PHT 105||Pharmaceutical Calculations||4|
|PHT 150||Pharmacotherapeutics I||4|
|PHT 151||Pharmacotherapeutics II||4|
|PHT 201||Pharmacy Law and Ethics||4|
|PHT 203||Community Pharmacy Operations||4|
|PHT 299||Pharmacy Externship||4|
What are some websites with more information on the information technology career field?
- Online learning takes place any time of day in any place that has an Internet connection.
- With Sullivan Online, our programs integrate better into a busy schedule
- The Community Pharmacy Certificate can be completed in as little as 9 months.
- The Pharmacy Technician Diploma can be completed in as little as 12 months.
- The Associate of Science in Pharmacy Technician Degree can be completed in as little as 18 months.
- The Pharmacy Technician program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists/Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ASHP/ACPE).
- To find more information about ASHP go to their website at ⦁ www.ashp.org. To find more information about ACPE, go to their website at ⦁ www.acpe-accredit.org.
- The Pharmacy Technician program is a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) recognized education/ training program for pharmacy technician students pursuing their PTCB certified pharmacy technician (CPhT) credential. Pharmacy Technicians that complete our program will meet PTCB’s 2020 education/ training eligibility requirements for CPhT certification.
- The Pharmacy Technician program is a PTCB recognized sterile compounding program and completion of the diploma and/or associates degree is a pathway to take the compounded sterile preparation technician exam (CSPT).Experienced Instructors
⦁ Our faculty is made of Pharmacists and Certified Pharmacy Technicians (CPhT). Our faculty also has experience and skills in a large majority of pharmacy settings, including institutional and community
- Students have the opportunity to practice hands on skills in both a community and institutional simulation pharmacy.
- Students that participate with our on-line training will be given simulation materials for hands on training to practice skills remotely.
- Externships provide students real-life experience working in the pharmacy field. Students will complete a minimum of 200 hours of experience during externship.
- Students have the opportunity to complete these externships within their community through our vast network of pharmacy affiliations coordinated through the office of experiential education at Sullivan University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
National Certification Exam
- Students take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) at the end of their externship.
- Students participate in extensive review sessions that include multiple practice exams before taking the PTCE to make sure that they are fully prepared